Full circularity: 2050100% circular by 2050: a time when there is dignity, equity and equality. A time when our shared textiles resources, in the form of products and raw materials, are kept in continual circulation. Virgin resources are no longer needed.
We are here to explore the realities of a fully circular future and what we need to do to get there. But this future is yet to take shape. Through dedication, innovation, infrastructure and collectivism, a circular system can operate and thrive.
Full Circularity: 2050
Join us on a journey from the early 2000s up until 2050. Read the contributions from circularity aficionados, from cross-industry experts.
This is our time capsule, our directory of information and insight into the steps we must take to achieve circularity.
Roadmap to 2050
We have imagined a Circular Textiles 2050 in three distinct phases:
- The Innovation and R&D years (2010-2025)
- The Infrastructure and Rollout years (2025-2040)
- The Expansion and Completion years (2040-2050)
Phase 2: 2025-40
- The model for the system and interconnected components is understood and ready for replication and rollout
- Collection systems feed into reuse and regenerative recycling businesses
- Design for circularity prospers,
- Digital platforms provide product passports for garments
- The lives of people working in industry improves
Phase 3: 2040-50
- Systems and flows of products and materials are optimised
- Virgin resources are no longer needed,
- Virgin fibres are replaced by recoverable or renewable fibres
- 2050 is 100% circular
Follow World Circular Textiles Day
Follow Worn Again Technologies
Follow Circle Economy
Follow Centre for Circular Design